Citrus Chicken Stir-Fry Recipe
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2/3 cup orange juice
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 3 large carrots, julienned
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 3 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1/3 cup reduced-sugar orange marmalade
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- 1. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and orange juice until smooth; set aside. Combine the salt, ginger and pepper; sprinkle over chicken. Set aside.
- 2. In a large nonstick skillet or wok, stir-fry carrots and onion in 1 teaspoon oil until crisp-tender. Remove and keep warm.
- 3. In the same pan, stir-fry chicken in remaining oil until no longer pink. Stir in the marmalade, brown sugar and lemon juice until marmalade is dissolved.
- 4. Return carrot mixture to the pan. Stir orange juice mixture; add to pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with rice if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup (calculated without rice) equals 229 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 63 mg cholesterol, 562 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 24 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.