Citrus Chicken Fajitas Recipe
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 1 each medium green, sweet red and yellow peppers, julienned
- 1 large red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 4 flour tortillas (8 inches), warmed
- 1/2 cup shredded lettuce
- 1/4 cup sliced ripe olives
- 1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Divide marinade equally between two large resealable plastic bags; add the chicken to one bag. Add peppers and onion to remaining bag. Seal bags and turn to coat; refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- 2. Drain chicken and vegetables; discard marinade. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook and stir chicken over medium heat for 3 minutes. Add vegetables; cook 3-5 minutes longer or until chicken is no longer pink and vegetables are crisp-tender.
- 3. Spoon filling onto tortillas; top with lettuce, olives and cheese. Roll up. Yield: 4 servings.
1 each: 360 calories, 10g fat (2g saturated fat), 68mg cholesterol, 426mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 31g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Reviews for Citrus Chicken Fajitas
"I love this recipe! When I make it, I mix everything together (omitting lettuce and olives) and bake in the oven for about 30 min. I also add an Italian seasoning. Everyone loves it!"
"I do something similar with fish...but we prefer corn tortillas...and use broccoli slaw mixed with the lettuce for additional nutrition...omit the sugar...it's not needed!"
"I used nonfat cheese, non fat cooking spray, I used half the lime juice, we wrapped ours in lettuce. halfed the lemon juice and sugar. A bit healthier and still delicious."
"There are times when we should have 'six stars.' This would be one. Only additional thought would be do the roll ups and a 'quick fry' to toast the 'shell.'"Good Eats!""
"I added a little sour cream to the finished product. Really tasty and easy. Will make again."
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.