- 2 medium oranges, cut into wedges
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up and skin removed
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked rice
- Place oranges and green pepper in a 5-qt. slow cooker coated with cooking spray. Top with chicken. Combine the next seven ingredients; pour over chicken. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until chicken juices run clear. Serve with rice. Yield: 4 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Citrus Chicken and Rice
Sort By :
"After reading the reviews, I peeled the oranges. This would be much better in a skillet, I think. The chicken just dried out entirely too much in the crockpot. I used pineapple juice instead of orange because it's what I had on hand, and a red pepper because of preference. I also thickened the sauce with a little cornstarch."
"Have not made this chicken in such a long, long time so it's time to again. Seem to recall peeling orange beforehand."
"I read the reviews, I made it anyway... edible but not good. The chicken dried out, the orange rind was bitter. It's a waste of time and ingredients. I thought with Taste of Home's backing it couldn't be bad... IT WAS! I am disappointed in TOH!"
"We loved it. I peeled the oranges before cooking, and left everything else the exact way stated and it turned out great!"
"Citrus chicken turns out beautifully and tastes delicious. The only thing I do that is not in the recipe is I peel the oranges as I do not like the taste if the orange peel is in with the chicken while it cooks. It's a keeper and definitely going in my recipe box."