- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 cups whipped topping
- 2 teaspoons orange liqueur or orange juice
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line bottom of a greased 9-in. round baking pan with parchment paper; grease paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, whisk buttermilk, melted butter, egg, orange juice, orange peel and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in 1 cup sliced strawberries. Transfer to prepared pan.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack; remove paper. Cool completely.
- For topping, in a small bowl, toss strawberries with lemon juice and sugar. Refrigerate until serving. In another bowl, mix whipped topping and liqueur; spread over cake. Drain strawberries; arrange over top. Yield: 8 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Citrus Berry Shortcake
Sort By :
"I didn't care for the texture of the cake or the orange flavoring."
"I would make this recipe again without the Orange peel in the cake it was too bitter for our fastener couldn't eat it I had to throw the cake away"
"By replacing the flour with 1-1/3 cups Gluten Free all-purpose flour and adding 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum, this recipe easily adapted to my gluten free diet. A great summertime treat!"
"This was a real hit with everyone! That orange peel in there added just the right "zing" and lifted it from "fine" to "fantastic"."