Here's a quick and easy classic with a soft shortcake layer. Sometimes, I'll sprinkle blueberries over the top for an especially colorful finish. —Meryl Herr, Springfield, IL
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 cups whipped topping
- 2 teaspoons orange liqueur or orange juice
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line bottom of a greased 9-in. round baking pan with parchment paper; grease paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, whisk buttermilk, melted butter, egg, orange juice, orange peel and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in 1 cup sliced strawberries. Transfer to prepared pan.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack; remove paper. Cool completely.
- For topping, in a small bowl, toss strawberries with lemon juice and sugar. Refrigerate until serving. In another bowl, mix whipped topping and liqueur; spread over cake. Drain strawberries; arrange over top. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Citrus Berry Shortcake in Simple & Delicious June/July 2013, p12
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Citrus Berry Shortcake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review