Citrus-Apricot Vegetable Glaze Recipe
For a delightful finishing touch, Dot Christiansen of Bettendorf, Iowa drizzles this refreshing citrusy glaze over carrot and zucchini strips. It’s also a tasty way to jazz up fresh sugar snap peas. Double the glaze ingredients if you decide to serve all three veggies!
- 1/3 cup apricot preserves
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- FOR CARROTS AND ZUCCHINI:
- 1 pound medium carrots
- 4 medium zucchini
- FOR PEAS:
- 2 pounds fresh sugar snap peas
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the preserves, butter, orange peel, lemon juice, salt and nutmeg. Yield: about 1/2 cup.
- 2. For carrots and zucchini: Trim ends from vegetables. With a vegetable peeler, cut very thin slices down the length of each carrot and zucchini, making long ribbons.
- 3. Place carrots in a steamer basket; place in a large saucepan over 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam for 2 minutes. Add zucchini; cover and steam 2-3 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender. Transfer to a serving dish. Drizzle with glaze; toss to coat. Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: 8 servings.
- 4. For peas: Place peas in a steamer basket; place in a large saucepan over 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam for 3-5 minutes or until tender. Transfer to a serving dish. Drizzle with glaze; toss to coat. Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 tablespoon) equals 70 calories, 4 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 11 mg cholesterol, 122 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, trace protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC