Citrus Apple Pie
I found this recipe in my early years of cooking, and it's been a favorite of my five children ever since. It's different, zesty and flavorful. I prefer to serve it warm.
6-8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 45 min.
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 5 teaspoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 cups shredded peeled tart apples (about 4 large)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom pastry; trim pastry even with edge
- of plate. In a large bowl, combine the sugar, flour, and orange and
- lemon peel. Stir in juices. Add apples and toss to coat. Stir in
- eggs. Pour into crust.
- Roll out remaining pastry; make a lattice crust. Seal and flute
- edges. Cover edges loosely with foil. Bake at 450° for 15
- minutes. Remove foil; reduce heat to 350°. Bake 30-35 minutes
- longer or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on
- a wire rack. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 446 calories, 15 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 63 mg cholesterol, 216 mg sodium,