These frosted goodies were a "must" every Christmas in my Italian mother's family. I think the blend of milk chocolate, toasted almonds, lemon and orange is cookie perfection.
- 4 cups unblanched almonds, toasted
- 1 cup sugar
- 5 milk chocolate candy bars (1.55 ounces each), chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 4 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 4 teaspoons water
- Place almonds in a food processor; cover and process until chopped. In a large bowl, combine the almonds, sugar, chocolate and cinnamon; set aside.
- In a small bowl, beat the eggs, orange peel, orange juice, lemon peel and extracts until combined. Gradually add to almond mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- Roll into 1-in. balls. Place 2 in. apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Bake at 325° for 12-15 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, extracts and enough water to achieve spreading consistency. Spread over cooled cookies. Store in airtight containers. Yield: 6 dozen.
Originally published as Citrus Almond Cookies in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2009, p66
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Citrus Almond Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review