Glistening oranges, tangerines and grapefruit star in this colorful, tangy salad enjoyed by Country Woman Contributing Editor Ann Kaiser on a workday at Showcase of Citrus. Created by Peter Eldridge, who helps manage the market, it's a refreshing mix of bright flavors—just add chicken and it's a complete meal.
- 3 medium fresh beets (about 1 pound)
- 8 cups fresh arugula or baby spinach
- 1 can (14 ounces) hearts of palm, drained and sliced
- 1 medium grapefruit, peeled and sectioned
- 1 medium orange, peeled and sectioned
- 1 tangerine, peeled and sectioned
- 1 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 4 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 2 teaspoons grated tangerine peel
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Scrub beets and trim tops to 1 in. Wrap in foil; place on a baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 1 hour or until tender. Remove foil; allow beets to cool.
- Peel beets and cut into 1/2-in. cubes. On six salad plates, arrange the arugula, beets, heart of palm, grapefruit, orange and tangerine; sprinkle with cheese. Whisk the vinegar, orange and tangerine peel, orange juice, mustard and honey; gradually whisk in oil. Drizzle over salads. Serve immediately. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Citrus & Roasted Beets Salad in Country Woman
Reviews for Citrus & Roasted Beets Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review