Sampling just one of these taste-bud tempters almost always leads to another. That's why I package a big batch in gift tins for happy holiday snackers.
16 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups walnut halves
- In a heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, milk, cinnamon and salt. Cook
- over medium heat, without stirring, until a candy thermometer reads
- 238° (soft-ball stage). Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla
- and walnuts. Spread onto waxed paper to harden. Break into pieces.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature. Yield: about 1
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 ounce) equals 178 calories, 13 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 42 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.