Cinnamon-Walnut Sticky Buns Recipe
The sweet honey-walnut topping and tender texture make these sticky rolls a surefire people pleaser. —Debbie Broeker, Rocky Mount, Missouri
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 1 hour + rising Bake: 30 min. YIELD:24 servings
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup mashed potatoes (without added milk and butter)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 6 to 6-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl, combine mashed potatoes, sugar, butter, eggs, salt, yeast mixture and 2 cups flour; beat on medium speed until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. For topping, in a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in brown sugar, honey and cinnamon. Divide mixture among three greased 9-in. round baking pans, spreading evenly. Sprinkle with walnuts.
- 4. For filling, in a small bowl, mix sugar and cinnamon. Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Roll one portion into an 18x12-in. rectangle. Brush with 1 tablespoon melted butter to within 1/2 in. of edges; sprinkle with 1/4 cup sugar mixture.
- 5. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal. Cut into 12 slices. Repeat with remaining dough and filling. Place eight slices in each pan, cut side down. Cover with kitchen towels; let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350°.
- 6. Bake 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately invert onto serving plates. Serve warm. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 bun equals 328 calories, 10 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 35 mg cholesterol, 257 mg sodium, 55 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC