Cinnamon Walnut Crescents Recipe
Mainstays in my holiday baking are these classic Christmas crescents. Nutty and spicy-sweet, they're ideal for a breakfast buffet. I also tuck them into plates of homemade goodies.
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold butter
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Confectioners' sugar icing, optional
- 1. In a small bowl, beat yolks; stir in sour cream and yeast. Let stand for 10 minutes. In a large bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add sour cream mixture and stir well. Shape into a ball; cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
- 2. Combine walnuts, sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle a fourth of the mixture on a flat surface. Divide dough into four portions; set three aside. On walnut-sprinkled surface, roll one portion into an 8-in. circle; turn dough over and press walnut mixture into both sides. Cut into 16 wedges. Roll up each wedge into a crescent shape, starting with the wide end. Place point down 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Repeat three more times with remaining walnut mixture and dough.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire racks. Drizzle with icing if desired. Yield: about 5 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 87 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 21 mg cholesterol, 53 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC