Cinnamon-Walnut Coffee Cake Recipe
My grandmother came from Germany with a treasure trove of recipes. She was a farmer's wife, raised seven children and had 28 grandchildren. Every Christmas and Easter, she hosted the family dinner, cooking everything herself. This coffee cake was one of my favorites.
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons cold butter
- 1-1/2 cups chopped walnuts
- 1. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with the milk, beating well after each addition.
- 2. Transfer to a greased 9-in. square baking pan. In a small bowl, combine the flour, sugar and cinnamon; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in nuts. Sprinkle over top.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 9 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 478 calories, 23 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 61 mg cholesterol, 396 mg sodium, 58 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 11 g protein.
Reviews for Cinnamon-Walnut Coffee Cake
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC