Cinnamon-Swirl Pear Bread Recipe
Pears add moisture to this delightful bread. I've been making it for over 20 years, and it's become a favorite of my family and friends. Try slices toasted to go along with Sunday brunch. -Joan Anderson, Winnipeg, Manitoba
- 3 cups chopped peeled ripe pears (about 3 medium)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1-1/4 cups plus 1 teaspoon sugar, divided
- 3 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 10 to 11 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine pears, water and 1/2 cup sugar. Simmer, uncovered, for 10-12 minutes or until tender. Drain well, reserving syrup. Add cold water if necessary to syrup to measure 1 cup; set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add 1 teaspoon sugar; let stand for 10 minutes. Add the eggs, butter, honey, salt, extract, 4 cups flour and reserved pears and syrup. Beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 3. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/4 hours.
- 4. Punch dough down; divide into thirds. Roll each portion into a 16-in. x 8-in. rectangle. Combine cinnamon and remaining 3/4 cup sugar; sprinkle over dough to within 1/2 in. of edges.
- 5. Roll up, jelly-roll style, starting with a short side; pinch seams to seal. Place, seam side down, in three greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 6. Bake at 375° for 20 minutes. Cover loosely with foil. Bake 15-20 minutes longer or until bread tests done. Remove from pans to wire rack to cool. Yield: 3 loaves (16 slices each).
1 serving (1 slice) equals 156 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 23 mg cholesterol, 124 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC