Cinnamon Swirl Orange Bread Recipe
My family waits expectantly for me to bake this beautiful sweet bread every year at this time. The tempting aroma as it's baking fills the kitchen and makes everybody eager for a thick slice of this yummy treat. —Linda Eager, Harlan, Indiana
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 6-1/4 to 6-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 to 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 4 teaspoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in water. In a large bowl, combine the milk, orange juice, sugar, shortening, peel and salt. Add 2 cups flour, yeast mixture and egg; mix well. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 8-10 minutes. Place in greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down and divide in half. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Roll each portion into a 15-in. x 7-in. rectangle.
- 4. For filling, combine sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over rectangle. Sprinkle each with 1 teaspoon water. Roll up, jelly-roll style, starting with a short end. Seal edges. Place each seam side down in a greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pan. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 5. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans and cool on wire racks. Combine glaze ingredients; spread over loaves. Yield: 2 loaves (12 slices each).
1 slice equals 202 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 156 mg sodium, 40 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
Reviews for Cinnamon Swirl Orange Bread
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC