Cinnamon Swirl Loaves Recipe
When I was growing up, my mom made this bread quite often. The irresistible aroma of cinnamon will call your clan to the kitchen. —Lynn Callahan Rosemount, Minnesota
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling YIELD:32 servings
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1. In a large bowl, cream shortening and 1-1/2 cups sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk.
- 2. Spread half of the batter in two greased and floured 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans. Combine cinnamon and remaining sugar; sprinkle half over batter. Spread with the remaining batter; sprinkle with remaining cinnamon-sugar.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves.
1 serving (1 each) equals 113 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 122 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC