Cinnamon Swirl Loaves Recipe
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1. In a large bowl, cream shortening and 1-1/2 cups sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk.
- 2. Spread half of the batter in two greased and floured 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans. Combine cinnamon and remaining sugar; sprinkle half over batter. Spread with the remaining batter; sprinkle with remaining cinnamon-sugar.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves.
1 each: 113 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 122mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (11g sugars, trace fiber), 2g protein
Reviews for Cinnamon Swirl Loaves
"I gave this bread out for Christmas and everyone just loved it. My only alteration was the batter didn't go quite far enough, so I would make a double batch and make 3 loves instead of 4."