When I was growing up, my mom made this bread quite often. The irresistible aroma of cinnamon will call your clan to the kitchen. —Lynn Callahan Rosemount, Minnesota
Recommended: 33 Non-Scary Bread Recipes Anyone Can Bake
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and 1-1/2 cups sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk.
- Spread half of the batter in two greased and floured 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans. Combine cinnamon and remaining sugar; sprinkle half over batter. Spread with the remaining batter; sprinkle with remaining cinnamon-sugar.
- Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves.
Originally published as Cinnamon Swirl Loaves in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2003, p11
Reviews for Cinnamon Swirl Loaves
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review