- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and 1-1/2 cups sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk.
- Spread half of the batter in two greased and floured 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans. Combine cinnamon and remaining sugar; sprinkle half over batter. Spread with the remaining batter; sprinkle with remaining cinnamon-sugar.
- Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves.
Originally published as Cinnamon Swirl Loaves in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2003, p11
Reviews for Cinnamon Swirl Loaves
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 17, 2012
"I gave this bread out for Christmas and everyone just loved it. My only alteration was the batter didn't go quite far enough, so I would make a double batch and make 3 loves instead of 4."