Your family will be impressed with the soft texture and appealing swirls of cinnamon in these lovely breakfast loaves shared by Diane Armstrong of Elm Grove, Wisconsin.
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/3 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 5-1/2 to 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add the milk, 1/2 cup sugar, eggs, butter, salt and 2-1/2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; divide in half. Roll each half into an 18-in. x 8-in. rectangle. Combine cinnamon and remaining sugar; sprinkle over the dough. Roll up each rectangle from a short side; pinch seam to seal.
- Place seam side down in two greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans and cool on wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
Originally published as Cinnamon Swirl Bread in Quick Cooking March/April 1999, p42
Reviews for Cinnamon Swirl Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review