Cinnamon-Sugar Rhubarb Cake Recipe
A real crowd-pleaser, this tender snack-like cake is chock-full of rhubarb and sprinkled with a sweet cinnamon-sugar topping. Everyone will be asking for the recipe…or seconds! —Maryls Haber, White, South Dakota
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups diced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, cream the shortening, brown sugar and 1/2 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla; beat for 2 minutes. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Stir in rhubarb.
- 2. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Combine the cinnamon and remaining sugar; sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve warm; if desired, sprinkle with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 12-16 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 227 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 14 mg cholesterol, 179 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
Reviews for Cinnamon-Sugar Rhubarb Cake
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC