Cinnamon-Sugar Rhubarb Cake Recipe
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups diced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, cream the shortening, brown sugar and 1/2 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla; beat for 2 minutes. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Stir in rhubarb.
- 2. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Combine the cinnamon and remaining sugar; sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve warm; if desired, sprinkle with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 12-16 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 227 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 14 mg cholesterol, 179 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
Reviews for Cinnamon-Sugar Rhubarb Cake
"The first thing i made with my home grown Rhubarb several years ago, and now i make it every year. So moist !! Awesome !!!! This year i am going to try it gluten free. Let ya know how it turns out !!"
"I made this last night to bring to work with me today. My husband tried a piece of it and wouldn't let me bring it to work. He loved it so much. That's a huge compliment since he doesn't typically like sweets. This is a great recipe!"
"Rhubarb...a favorite in our family...... in a buttermilk batter.. a wonderful cake. Easy, just right for spring!!"
"this cake is just so yummy its hard to stop at just one piece. definitely a keeper"
"Yum! Had to sub fresh strawberries for 1/2 the rhubarb & added 1 c. chopped walnuts. Love the cin/sug. crust and the moistness of the cake. Also added a tsp. of cinnamon to flour mix as I love cinnamon."
"This cake was amazing! My 9 year old son asked if we could have seconds before I even finished my first piece. Crispy cinnamon pieces on top and soft and gooey cake. YU"
"very , good. yummo!!"
"Great flavor and moist. Would agree that it's a great for breakfast. Yummy!"
"Made this cake for a Memorial Day gathering. It was delicious and everyone asked for seconds! It was easy to make, and is fairly low-calorie (for a cake!). Will definitely make this cake again."
"Yummy! Particularly good for breakfast!~ Theresa"
"Absolutely delicious and so easy! My family loved it and I immediately made another one to take to work, too!"
"I have made this cake over and over! My family LOVES it and it is so simple to make. It never turns out wrong. I enjoy it better cold then warm but it is good both ways. I dont bother drain the rhubarb, but it still turns out! I would deff. recomend this to anyone!"
"I made this cake, I used butter instead of shortening, also sprinkled a little coconut on top. It is so good and moist. jud"
"A lot of recipes that call for frozen rhubarb include a note that says to thaw and drain it before incorporating the rhubarb into the batter. Is that recommended here?"
"Very moist cake. Delicious and you already have almost all the ingredients. Tastes almost as good cold."