- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups diced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- In a large bowl, cream the shortening, brown sugar and 1/2 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla; beat for 2 minutes. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Stir in rhubarb.
- Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Combine the cinnamon and remaining sugar; sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve warm; if desired, sprinkle with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Reviews for Cinnamon-Sugar Rhubarb Cake
"The first thing i made with my home grown Rhubarb several years ago, and now i make it every year. So moist !! Awesome !!!! This year i am going to try it gluten free. Let ya know how it turns out !!"
"I made this last night to bring to work with me today. My husband tried a piece of it and wouldn't let me bring it to work. He loved it so much. That's a huge compliment since he doesn't typically like sweets. This is a great recipe!"
"this cake is just so yummy its hard to stop at just one piece. definitely a keeper"
"Yum! Had to sub fresh strawberries for 1/2 the rhubarb & added 1 c. chopped walnuts. Love the cin/sug. crust and the moistness of the cake. Also added a tsp. of cinnamon to flour mix as I love cinnamon."
"very , good. yummo!!"
"Great flavor and moist. Would agree that it's a great for breakfast. Yummy!"