Delicate cinnamon swirls make this sweet bread a treat any time of day. "Thick slices are wonderful when toasted and topped with light cream cheese," says Sharon Moeller of Ceresco, Nebraska. "I also like to use the bread when making French toast."
- 5-1/4 to 5-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 2/3 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, oats, milk powder, brown sugar, yeast and salt. In a small saucepan, heat water and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Add egg; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough. Stir in raisins.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bow, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Roll each portion into an 18-in. x 9-in. rectangle. Combine sugar and cinnamon. Set aside 2 tablespoons for topping. Sprinkle remaining cinnamon-sugar over rectangles to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a short side; pinch seam to seal.
- Place seam side down in two greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes. Sprinkle with reserved cinnamon-sugar.
- Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Cover loosely with foil if tops brown too quickly. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
Originally published as Cinnamon Spiral Bread in Light & Tasty December/January 2006, p47
Reviews for Cinnamon Spiral Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review