Cinnamon Snowflake Ornaments
Fill your home with the scent of Christmas with these lovely non-edible spice ornaments. Thread a narrow ribbon through them and hang them on your tree, in the window, from the chandelier, or as a swag by the fireplace. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
10 ServingsPrep: 40 min. Bake: 20 min. + drying
- 1 cup applesauce
- Approximately 3/4 cup ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon ground allspice
- Royal icing and edible glitter
- In a large bowl, combine the applesauce and spices; mix well until a
- stiff dough forms, adding additional cinnamon if needed.
- On a board dusted with additional cinnamon, roll out each portion of
- dough to 1/4-inch thickness. Cut into shapes using 4-in.
- snowflake-shaped cookie cutters dipped in cinnamon. Reroll scraps.
- Place cutouts on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Make a hole
- with a plastic straw about 1/2 in. from the top of each ornament.
- Bake at 200° for 20-30 minutes. Remove to paper towels to dry
- thoroughly. When completely dry and cool, string a ribbon strip
- through each hole; tie the ends together to form a loop. Decorate
- ornaments as desired with royal icing and glitter. Yield: about 10
- (4 inch ornaments).
Royal Icing: In a large bowl, combine 1-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar, 4-1/2 teaspoons meringue powder and 2 to 3