Cinnamon Rock Candy Recipe
"My mother made this hard cinnamon candy many times for us as kids," says Marganne Winter Oxley of Klamath Falls, Oregon. "Now I fix it for my own family and to give as gifts at Christmas."
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Cook: 25 min. + cooling YIELD:32 servings
- 1 cup water
- 3-3/4 cups sugar
- 1-1/4 cups light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon red liquid food coloring
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon oil
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1. Line a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. pan with foil; butter the foil and set aside. In a large heavy saucepan, combine water, sugar, corn syrup and food coloring. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Cover and cook for 3 minutes to dissolve sugar crystals.
- 2. Uncover; cook on medium-high heat, without stirring, until a candy thermometer reads 300° (hard-crack stage), about 25 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in cinnamon oil (keep face away from mixture as oil is very strong). Immediately pour onto prepared pan. Cool completely, about 45 minutes.
- 3. Break the candy into pieces using the edge of a metal mallet. Sprinkle both sides of candy with confectioners' sugar. Store in airtight container. Yield: about 2 pounds.
1 serving (1 ounce) equals 132 calories, trace fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 16 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 0 protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC