Cinnamon Rhubarb Muffins
When I was young, a good cook originally from Poland recommended this recipe to me. The tangy rhubarb center makes these fluffy muffins extra scrumptious and perfect for breakfast or snacking.
-Barbara Perry, Saginaw, Michigan
9 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed and drained
- 1/4 cup peach preserves
- In a bowl, combine flour, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder, 1 teaspoon
- cinnamon and salt. Combine egg, buttermilk and butter; stir into
- dry ingredients just until moistened. Spoon 1 tablespoonful of
- batter into nine greased or paper-lined muffin cups. Combine
- rhubarb and preserves; place 1 tablespoonful in the center of each
- cup (do not spread). Top with remaining batter. Combine remaining
- sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over batter. Bake at 400° for 20
- minutes or until top of muffin springs back when lightly touched in
- the center. Yield: 9 muffins.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 209 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 38 mg cholesterol, 233 mg sodium,