- 2-1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 to 2-1/2 cups bread flour
- 2/3 cup flaxseed, ground
- 2 tablespoons vital wheat gluten
- 3 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 egg
- CINNAMON NUT FILLING:
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
- 2-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a large bowl, combine the whole wheat flour, 2 cups bread flour, flax, gluten, yeast and salt. In a small saucepan, heat the water, oil, honey and lemon juice to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Add egg; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining bread flour to form a stiff dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise for 1 hour or until doubled.
- Meanwhile, combine filling ingredients; set aside.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide dough in half. Roll each half into a 14-in. x 8-in rectangle. Sprinkle half of the filling over each rectangle to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up, jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Pinch to seal. Place each loaf seam-side down in a greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Bake at 350° for 34-38 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (12 slices each).
Originally published as Cinnamon-Pecan Swirl Bread in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2012, p34
Reviews for Cinnamon-Pecan Swirl Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review