Cinnamon-Pecan Coffee Cakes
With their decorative cinnamon swirls, these lovely braids taste as good as they look! And their aroma while baking will make your mouth water. For a holiday touch, you could decorate the drizzle of icing with pecans and candied cherries. —Vick Holloway, Joelton, Tennessee
24 ServingsPrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 6 to 6-1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons water
- In a large bowl, combine 3 cups flour, yeast, salt and sugar. In a
- small saucepan, heat water and 1/2 cup butter to 120°-130°.
- Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Add eggs; beat
- until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough
- (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about
- 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.