- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk until well combined.
- Fill greased muffin cups half full. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Add butter to a shallow bowl. In another shallow bowl, combine sugar and cinnamon. Dip muffin tops in butter, then in cinnamon-sugar. Serve warm. Yield: 1 dozen.
Reviews for Cinnamon Muffins
"Very good hot or cold. Next time I'd substitute cinnamon for the nutmeg in the batter."
"This is a good recipe. The texture is not what I was expecting, but it did taste good. The recipe as written made very tiny muffins. Next time I will either double it or maybe make fewer muffins. The kids loved them, though, so it is definitely a keeper."
"I love this recipe! I used butter instead of shortening and made a double batch. Although they aren't browned when they come out of the oven as someone mentioned, they are very pretty and so tasty with the cinnamon sugar topping. Easy, good, and special enough to share."
"I used butter instead of shortening and whole wheat white flour with a little extra sugar to avoid the bland reviews! Tested them on my four daughters around the morning breakfast table...they voted four stars. Quick, easy, and on-hand ingredients."
"i made this for desert. very good and best when warm. they disappeared fast!!! so i might double the amounts to get more :) very good recipe."