Cinnamon Doughnut Twists Recipe
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, butter, sugars, nutmeg, salt, eggs and orange peel and 2 cups flour. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes or until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 3. Punch dough down. Divide in half. On a floured surface, roll out one portion into a 13-1/2-in. x 6-in. rectangle. With a sharp knife, cut dough into thirty-six 1-1/2-in. squares.
- 4. Using a sharp knife and beginning at the bottom of the lower left square, make two 1-in. vertical cuts 1/2 in. apart. Braid the three attached strips; pinch ends to seal. Place on a greased baking sheet. Repeat with remaining squares and the remaining dough. Cover and let rise until almost doubled, about 40 minutes.
- 5. In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry doughnuts, a few at a time, for 1 minute on each side or until golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels.
- 6. In a large saucepan, combine glaze ingredients. Bring to a rolling boil over medium heat. Remove from the heat. Dip warm doughnuts in glaze. Place on wire racks with waxed paper underneath. Yield: 6 dozen.
Reviews for Cinnamon Doughnut Twists
"These are really good, but, too many for just my husband and me, so I cut the recipe down to half."
"The recipe for the dough was great...no need for add-ins. I will however try it next time with a little more sugar. Instead of the glaze, I shook it in a cinnamon sugar mix. My family loved it, next time I will try the glaze."