Cinnamon Doughnut Twists
These melt-in-the-mouth, glazed goodies were adapted from a South African recipe. I make them at Christmastime, and they never last long.
72 ServingsPrep: 1 hour + rising Cook: 5 min./batch
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 Eggland's Best Eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, butter,
- sugars, nutmeg, salt, eggs and orange peel and 2 cups flour. Beat on
- medium speed for 3 minutes or until smooth. Stir in enough remaining
- flour to form a firm dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about
- 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.