This applesauce spiced with cinnamon and ginger, is a nice complement to any entree. While searching on the Internet for bread recipe, I happened upon one that used cranberries and apples. I adapted some of the ingredients and created this sweet-tart applesauce.Sondra Ostheimer, Boscobel, Wisconsin
6 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 4 medium Rome Beauty apple, peeled and chopped
- 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- In a large saucepan, heat sugar and water over medium heat until
- sugar is dissolved, stirring occasionally. Stir in apples; cover and
- cook for 5 minutes, stirring several times. Stir in cranberries;
- cook and stir for about 8 minutes or until cranberries begin to pop.
- Cover and cook 5 minutes longer or until apples are tender, stirring
- several times.
- Add cinnamon, ginger and lemon peel. Cook and stir for about 5
- minutes. Remove from the hear; mash until mixture reaches desired
- consistency. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (1/3 cup) equals 126 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, trace sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, trace protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fruit.