This applesauce spiced with cinnamon and ginger, is a nice complement to any entree. While searching on the Internet for bread recipe, I happened upon one that used cranberries and apples. I adapted some of the ingredients and created this sweet-tart applesauce.—Sondra Ostheimer, Boscobel, Wisconsin
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 4 medium Rome Beauty apple, peeled and chopped
- 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- In a large saucepan, heat sugar and water over medium heat until sugar is dissolved, stirring occasionally. Stir in apples; cover and cook for 5 minutes, stirring several times. Stir in cranberries; cook and stir for about 8 minutes or until cranberries begin to pop. Cover and cook 5 minutes longer or until apples are tender, stirring several times.
- Add cinnamon, ginger and lemon peel. Cook and stir for about 5 minutes. Remove from the hear; mash until mixture reaches desired consistency. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Cranberry Applesauce in Light & Tasty October/November 2004, p13
Reviews for Cinnamon Cran-Applesauce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 30, 2011
"We enjoyed this for Thanksgiving as a change from our usual cranberry sauce recipe. We especially liked the added flavor that the ginger and lemon peel gave to it."