"I've made these bars for more than 40 years, and they're still a favorite," writes Marylou Crouch from Granite Falls, Washington. The recipe makes a small pan, so the two of you can enjoy a few and have some left to share.
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup hot strong brewed coffee
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 to 4 teaspoons milk
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and coffee. Combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Stir in chocolate chips and walnuts.
- Spread into a well-greased 8-in. square baking dish. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- In a small bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, vanilla and enough milk to achieve a desired consistency. Drizzle over warm bars. Cool completely on a wire rack before cutting. Yield: 1 dozen.
Originally published as Cinnamon Coffee Bars in Quick Cooking May/June 2004, p22
Reviews for Cinnamon Coffee Bars
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 9, 2015
"Very moist and tastes so good."
Reviewed Jul. 3, 2011
"Very good bars. I used coffee in the icing instead of milk...was very good!"