Our Christmas dinner wouldn't be complete without a festive finale. I've served this satisfying pie for so many years that it's become a holiday tradition.
Featured In: 30 Desserts Ready in 30 Minutes
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites and vinegar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Combine sugar and cinnamon; gradually beat into egg whites, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form. Spread into the pastry shell. Bake at 325° for 20-25 minutes or until meringue is lightly browned. Cool.
- For filling, whisk egg yolks and water in a saucepan. Add chocolate chips; cook and stir over low heat until a thermometer reads 160° and coats the back of a metal spoon (do not boil). Cool. Spread 3 tablespoons over meringue; set remainder aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the cream, sugar and cinnamon until stiff peaks form. Spread half over the chocolate layer. Fold reserved chocolate mixture into remaining whipped cream; spread over top. Chill for 6 hours or overnight. Refrigerate left overs. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Cinnamon Chocolate Angel Pie in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2000, p42
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Cinnamon Chocolate Angel Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review