- 2/3 cup Red Hots
- 2-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla or cinnamon extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 to 6 tablespoons 2% milk
- Place Red Hots in a food processor; process until fine and powdery. Add flour; pulse to combine.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Gradually beat flour mixture into creamed mixture.
- Shape into two 8-in. rolls; wrap each roll in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 1 hour or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Unwrap and cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2-in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 7-9 minutes or until edges are just light brown. Cool on pans 2 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, beat confectioners' sugar, butter, extract, salt and enough milk to reach desired consistency. Decorate cookies as desired.
- Freeze option: Place wrapped logs in resealable plastic freezer bags; return to freezer. To use, unwrap frozen logs and cut into slices. If necessary, let dough stand a few minutes at room temperature before cutting. Prepare, bake and decorate cookies as directed. Yield: about 5 dozen.
Reviews for Cinnamon-Candy Cookies
"These are great crispy and thin with amazing cinnamon flavor. These are great change from the typical holiday cookies. These will be a staple from now on."
"A friend gave me this recipe a while back. I will admit I was a little skeptical about trying it, but it turned out very good and unique. Don't skip the frosting. This cookie definitely adds a unique element to a holiday cookie tray. It will find a place on mine. Worth making. I rated it a 4 because it didn't hit the list of my favorite cookies that I would make routinely to have around the house, but good enough to make for "special" occasions (such as holiday gifts)."
"Delicious! A light crispy alternative to the usual holiday treats. Destined to become a holiday tradition in our family! I used almond extract in this recipe and it was amazing!"