Cinnamon-Basil Fruit Salad
"It's easy to vary the flavors in this salad by using different fruits, but the herb syrup always makes it taste special," says field editor Sue Gronholz of Beaver Dam, Wisconsin
8-10 ServingsPrep: 10 min. + chilling
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup packed fresh basil leaves
- 3 sprigs fresh spearmint or mint
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- 2 cups fresh raspberries or blackberries
- 1 cup cubed cantaloupe
- 1 cup cubed honeydew
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 medium apple, sliced
- In a small saucepan, bring the sugar and water to a boil. Remove from
- the heat. Stir in the basil, spearmint and cinnamon stick. Cover and
- refrigerate overnight.
- Discard the herbs and cinnamon stick from syrup. In a serving bowl,
- combine the fruit. Drizzle with syrup; gently toss to coat. Cover
- and refrigerate until chilled. Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield:
- 8-10 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 196 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 4 mg sodium, 50 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 1 g protein.