Cinnamon Bagels with Crunchy Topping Recipe
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar, divided
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2-3/4 to 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add 3 tablespoons brown sugar, cinnamon and salt; mix well. Stir in enough flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Shape into 12 balls. Push thumb through each center to form a 1-1/2-in. hole. Stretch and shape dough to form an even ring. Place on a floured surface. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- 4. Fill a Dutch oven two-thirds full with water and remaining brown sugar; bring to a boil. Drop bagels, two at a time, into boiling water. Cook for 45 seconds; turn and cook 45 seconds longer. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain well on paper towels.
- 5. In a small bowl, mix topping ingredients; sprinkle over bagels. Place 2 in. apart on baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 1 dozen.
1 bagel: 164 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 300mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for Cinnamon Bagels with Crunchy Topping
"This was my first time attempting bagels (and I don't even bake with yeast very often) and they were really sticky and didn't really rise for me or get "golden brown" when I baked them. They weren't very pretty, but the taste was fantastic. I did add more flour than what the recipe called for due to how sticky it was. I was afraid to add too much flour, but I believe I should have added more! I will keep this recipe, do a little more research and practice on making bagels......and try it again some time!"
"These are fantastic! They took a little time to make but are definitely worth it.They are now my new favorite homemade bagel recipe and I will definitely be making them again!"
"My first attempt at bagels, and they turned out pretty good! I had to add quite a bit more flour than this recipe called for, and the dough was still very sticky. But all in all - they were very tasty and I will make them again."
"These were very good, however I tried to save some time by making the dough in my bread machine. I used 3 cups of flour but the dough could practically be poured out of the bowl. I had to add at least another cup of flour to make it manageable...not exactly what I bargained for. I'm not sure I'll try again, but I'll definitely nix the bread maker!"
"Very easy to make. I used to purchase mini cinnamon bagels from Sam's Club and they haven't had them in a while. I needed a fix, but didn't want to pay Panera for my cinnamon crunch bagel.very tasty!"
"A little time consuming and it does use a lot of dishes, but if you have the time they are well worth it. They are delicious! :)"
"The first bite that my husband took was "Wow these are great". Our favorite bagel is the Cinnamon Crunch from Panera, I will be making these from now on. easy to make, will try freezing some when I make the next batch."
"Very tasty, freeze well too"
"These were very good & really not hard to make. I think I need a little practice getting them into correct shape, but they were very yummy! So much tastier than store-bought!"
"These are fabulous! I made half with the topping and half without and both are really good. I will definitely make these again. You can't beat these bagels fresh from the oven with a cup of hot coffee!"
"Wow, these bagels are fabulous! This was my first time making bagels at home and I am so impressed with how they turned out. The dough has a lovely cinnamon flavor and there is more than enough crunchy topping to go around! I was a little concerned that they'd be tiny little things, but the recipe makes 12 very nice sized bagels. I wouldn't change a thing and will definitely be making these again and again! They are quite possibly the best bagels I've ever eaten."