Cinnamon Bagels with Crunchy Topping Recipe
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar, divided
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2-3/4 to 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add 3 tablespoons brown sugar, cinnamon and salt; mix well. Stir in enough flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Shape into 12 balls. Push thumb through each center to form a 1-1/2-in. hole. Stretch and shape dough to form an even ring. Place on a floured surface. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- 4. Fill a Dutch oven two-thirds full with water and remaining brown sugar; bring to a boil. Drop bagels, two at a time, into boiling water. Cook for 45 seconds; turn and cook 45 seconds longer. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain well on paper towels.
- 5. In a small bowl, mix topping ingredients; sprinkle over bagels. Place 2 in. apart on baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 1 dozen.
1 bagel: 164 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 300mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein
Reviews for Cinnamon Bagels with Crunchy Topping
"This was my first time attempting bagels (and I don't even bake with yeast very often) and they were really sticky and didn't really rise for me or get "golden brown" when I baked them. They weren't very pretty, but the taste was fantastic. I did add more flour than what the recipe called for due to how sticky it was. I was afraid to add too much flour, but I believe I should have added more! I will keep this recipe, do a little more research and practice on making bagels......and try it again some time!"
"These are fantastic! They took a little time to make but are definitely worth it.They are now my new favorite homemade bagel recipe and I will definitely be making them again!"
"My first attempt at bagels, and they turned out pretty good! I had to add quite a bit more flour than this recipe called for, and the dough was still very sticky. But all in all - they were very tasty and I will make them again."
"These were very good, however I tried to save some time by making the dough in my bread machine. I used 3 cups of flour but the dough could practically be poured out of the bowl. I had to add at least another cup of flour to make it manageable...not exactly what I bargained for. I'm not sure I'll try again, but I'll definitely nix the bread maker!"
"Very easy to make. I used to purchase mini cinnamon bagels from Sam's Club and they haven't had them in a while. I needed a fix, but didn't want to pay Panera for my cinnamon crunch bagel.very tasty!"
"A little time consuming and it does use a lot of dishes, but if you have the time they are well worth it. They are delicious! :)"
"The first bite that my husband took was "Wow these are great". Our favorite bagel is the Cinnamon Crunch from Panera, I will be making these from now on. Easy to make, will try freezing some when I make the next batch."
"Very tasty, freeze well too"
"These were very good & really not hard to make. I think I need a little practice getting them into correct shape, but they were very yummy! So much tastier than store-bought!"
"These are fabulous! I made half with the topping and half without and both are really good. I will definitely make these again. You can't beat these bagels fresh from the oven with a cup of hot coffee!"
"Wow, these bagels are fabulous! This was my first time making bagels at home and I am so impressed with how they turned out. The dough has a lovely cinnamon flavor and there is more than enough crunchy topping to go around! I was a little concerned that they'd be tiny little things, but the recipe makes 12 very nice sized bagels. I wouldn't change a thing and will definitely be making these again and again! They are quite possibly the best bagels I've ever eaten."