Cinnamon-Apricot Daisy Ring Recipe
I submitted this pretty bread to a 4-H competition more than 12 years ago and was named Grand Champion. Since then, it's earned honors for my Grandma Catherine and six of my cousins. We consider this a true family recipe!
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 15 min. + cooling YIELD:16 servings
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup apricot preserves
- Vanilla Glaze
- Slivered almonds, toasted
- 1. In a large bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt. In a saucepan, heat milk and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat until moistened. Add eggs; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on high for 3 minutes. Stir in remaining flour; beat well.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. On a lightly floured surface, roll into a 16-in. circle; place on a greased baking sheet (circle with be larger than the baking sheet). Place a glass in the center of dough. Brush dough with melted butter. Combine the sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over butter. Cut from the glass to the outside edge, forming 16 wedges. Remove glass.
- 4. Place one slice over the top of the next slice, cinnamon-sugar sides together; pinch edges to seal. Continue around circle until there are eight strips. Twist each strip four to five times. Loop to the center to make daisy petals. Cut off one roll to place in the center. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 5. Beat egg yolk and water; brush over ring. Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool. Top with preserves. Drizzle with Vanilla Glaze. Sprinkle with almonds. Yield: 1 ring loaf.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 202 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 53 mg cholesterol, 210 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC