Cinnamon-Apricot Chicken Breasts Recipe
- 2 cups water
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup coarsely chopped dried apricots
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/2 teaspoon dried savory
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the water, cinnamon stick, 2 tablespoons butter, sugar and salt; bring to a boil. Stir in rice. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender, about 10 minutes. Set aside.
- 2. In a large skillet, cook chicken in remaining butter over medium-high heat until a meat thermometer reads 170°. Remove and keep warm. In the same skillet, saute onion and garlic over medium-low heat until onion is tender. Stir in the broth, apricots, juices, peel and savory; simmer for 5 minutes.
- 3. Remove cinnamon stick from rice; stir in apricot mixture. Spoon into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; top with chicken.
- 4. Cover and bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with pecans and bake for 10 minutes or until juices run clear. Yield: 6 servings.
1 each: 538 calories, 25g fat (9g saturated fat), 104mg cholesterol, 822mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 4g fiber), 32g protein .
Reviews for Cinnamon-Apricot Chicken Breasts
"This recipe took my sister and I 45 minutes to prep. We pride ourselves on being pretty good in the kitchen, so we were surprised that it took so long. The chicken alone was somewhat bland, but when mixed together with the rice mixture, was quite tasty. We had difficulty finding savory, so we omitted that. We both agree that we would make this again with double the rice mixture."
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.