Cinnamon Apple Muffins Recipe
- 2-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup 2% milk
- 1/3 cup Galbani® Reduced-Fat Ricotta Cheese
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups finely chopped peeled tart apples
- 1. In a bowl, combine the flour, 1 cup sugar, 2 teaspoons cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In another bowl, beat the egg, egg whites, buttermilk, milk, ricotta cheese, oil and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in apples.
- 2. Coat muffin cups with cooking spray or use paper-liners; fill three-fourths full. Combine the remaining sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over batter. Bake at 400° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
One serving (1 muffin) equals 155 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 14 mg cholesterol, 193 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1/2 fat.