Cinnamon Apple Dumplings
WHEN Mom made pies to feed the crew during wheat harvest, she always had plenty of dough left over, so she treated us kids to apple dumplings.
I've carried on this tradition in my own family. Now my husband and I enjoy this special dessert even when I'm not baking pies.
2 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 3 tablespoons ice water
- 2 medium baking apples
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Half-and-half cream
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons red-hot candies or 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Additional half-and-half cream, optional
- In a bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture
- resembles coarse crumbs. With a fork, stir in water until dough
- forms a ball. Roll out on a floured surface to a 14-in. x 7-in.
- rectangle; cut pastry in half.
- Peel and core apples; place one on each square of pastry. Combine
- sugar and cinnamon; spoon into apples. Moisten edges of pastry and
- gather around apples; pinch and seal. Place dumplings in an