Cinnamon-Apple Brown Betty Recipe
If I had to define the "Betty" of Apple Brown Betty, she'd be a smart and thrifty Southern gal with a knack for creating simple, soul-comforting desserts. In this sweet dish, spiced apples are slow-cooked between layers of cinnamon-raisin bread cubes for a wonderful twist on the traditional oven-baked classic. —Heather Demeritte, Scottsdale, Arizona
- 5 medium tart apples, cubed
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 cups cubed day-old cinnamon-raisin bread (about 10 slices)
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- Sweetened whipped cream, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice. In a small bowl, mix brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg; add to apple mixture and toss to coat. In a large bowl, drizzle butter over bread cubes; toss to coat.
- 2. Place 2 cups bread cubes in a greased 3- or 4-qt. slow cooker. Layer with half of the apple mixture and 2 cups bread cubes. Repeat layers. Cook, covered, on low 2-3 hours or until apples are tender. Stir before serving. If desired, top with whipped cream. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Cinnamon-Apple Brown Betty
Reviewed Sep. 26, 2014
"First experience with "Brown Betty". Tastes great."
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC