Cinnamon-Apple Angel Food Cake Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups egg whites (about 10 eggs)
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 to 4 tablespoons apple juice or cider
- 1. Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Sift confectioners' sugar and flour together twice; set aside.
- 2. Add cream of tartar, vanilla and almond extract and salt to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add granulated sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, beating on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Gradually fold in flour mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time.
- 3. Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through the batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on the lowest oven rack at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until lightly browned and entire top appears dry. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour.
- 4. Run a knife around side and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate.
- 5. For glaze, melt butter in a small saucepan. Stir in the confectioners' sugar and cinnamon until blended. Add apple juice slowly until glaze is thin enough to achieve a drizzle consistency. Drizzle over cake. Yield: 12-16 servings.
1 piece: 230 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 114mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (37g sugars, 0g fiber), 3g protein .
Reviews for Cinnamon-Apple Angel Food Cake
"This recipe worked out exactly as an angel food cake should. I was actually pretty suprised how easy it was to make. My only complaint is that the cake itself was a little too sweet, and covering it with the glaze just added to the problem. I think a light whipped topping would probably be helpful for cutting some of the sweetness. I will try this recipe again, but I don't feel like it's a 5-Star recipe just yet."
"This is my go-to angel food cake recipe. It is good without the glaze and with other toppings, but the apple glaze is my family's favorite."
"Very easy to make with a boxed angel food cake. Made it for a group at work. They really loved the it. Would make it again"