- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 2 small yellow onions, chopped and divided
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 10 hot dogs
- 10 hot dog buns, split
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook and stir ground beef, crumbling meat, until no longer pink; drain.
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine beef with one chopped onion; add next eight ingredients. Cook, covered, on low about 2 hours; add hot dogs. Continue cooking, covered, on low until heated through, about 2 hours longer.
- Serve on buns; top with shredded cheese and remaining chopped onion. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews for Cincinnati Chili Dogs
"We made these as a special treat for the opening of the baseball season and they were a big hit! I followed the recipe as written......made the whole amount of chili using only five hot dogs, thinking we could use the rest for five-way chili the next day, but there was none left! Will definitely make again, and wouldn't change anything."
"A great twist on the usual chili dog! My family really enjoyed this recipe. The addition of cinnamon and cocoa powder gave this dish an incredible flavor. I didn't even miss the spiciness of our normal chili recipe! (It's mild enough for kids who may not like some traditional chili recipes.) It comes together quickly with on-hand ingredients. I made it on the stove top instead of the crock pot and it worked beautifully. Two thumbs up!"