Cilantro-Lime Chicken Sandwiches Recipe
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 8 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 1 cup fat-free spreadable cream cheese
- 1/3 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 8 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the oil, lime juice and cumin. Add the chicken; seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour. In a small bowl, combine the cream cheese, cilantro, onion, salt and pepper; chill until serving.
- 2. Drain and discard marinade. Grill chicken, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 6-8 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 170°.
- 3. Spread cream cheese mixture onto buns. Layer with tomatoes, chicken and avocado; replace bun tops. Yield: 8 servings.
1 sandwich equals 476 calories, 21 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 99 mg cholesterol, 530 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 44 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 2 starch, 2 fat.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.