Summer's ultimate sandwich offers a yin and yang of special flavors and casual presentation. The creamy spread and heart-healthy avocado will light up your taste buds. Everyone I've shared this sandwich recipe with makes it over and over again. —Debbie Speckmeyer, Lakewood, California
Recommended: 21 Recipes to Make with Avocado
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 8 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 1 cup fat-free spreadable cream cheese
- 1/3 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 8 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and thinly sliced
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the oil, lime juice and cumin. Add the chicken; seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour. In a small bowl, combine the cream cheese, cilantro, onion, salt and pepper; chill until serving.
- Drain and discard marinade. Grill chicken, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 6-8 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 170°.
- Spread cream cheese mixture onto buns. Layer with tomatoes, chicken and avocado; replace bun tops. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Cilantro-Lime Chicken Sandwiches in Healthy Cooking June/July 2012, p20
Reviews for Cilantro-Lime Chicken Sandwiches
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 17, 2017
"Enjoyed these sandwiches with a side of beer cheese soup. Only needed about 1/2 of the spread."
Reviewed Jan. 26, 2014
"Love this sandwich!"
Reviewed Jul. 23, 2013
"Loved this; will make again."
Reviewed Jul. 15, 2012
"This was good on pita bread."