Cilantro Bean Burgers Recipe
- 1/2 cup canned pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup shredded carrots
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 3/4 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 3/4 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup soft bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons egg substitute
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cornmeal
- 1-1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- Salsa, guacamole and tortilla chips, optional
- 1. In a food processor, combine the first 10 ingredients; cover and pulse until blended. Stir in bread crumbs and egg substitute; refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- 2. Shape bean mixture into two patties; sprinkle each side with cornmeal. In a large nonstick skillet, cook patties in oil for 4-5 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Serve with salsa, guacamole and tortilla chips if desired. Yield: 2 servings.
1 patty equals 177 calories, 4 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 432 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 8 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.