- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/3 cup fresh mint leaves
- 2 serrano peppers, sliced
- 1 piece fresh gingerroot (1 inch), coarsely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 3 medium sweet onions, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch slices
- 4 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- Lemon wedges
- In a large bowl, toss chicken with lemon juice and salt; let stand 15 minutes. Meanwhile, place water, yogurt, herbs, peppers, ginger and garlic in a blender; cover and process until smooth. Stir into chicken mixture; refrigerate, covered, 2 hours.
- Moisten a paper towel with cooking oil; using long-handled tongs, rub on grill rack to coat lightly. Brush onions with 2 tablespoons oil. Grill, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from heat 10-12 minutes or until tender, turning occasionally.
- Remove chicken from marinade; discard marinade. Thread chicken onto six metal or soaked wooden skewers. Grill, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from heat 10-12 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink, turning occasionally and brushing with remaining oil during the last 4 minutes. Serve with grilled onions and lemon wedges. Yield: 6 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Cilantro & Lemon Marinated Chicken Kabobs
"This was very good! Simple dish with lots of flavor!"
"My husband and I both love Indian food and these skewers were fabulous. For a weeknight meal, I made the marinade the night before, added the chicken before leaving for work, and was ready to start grilling when I got home. chicken was fine with the extra marinating time. Flavorful and reminiscent of tandoori chicken."
"Delicious!! My family raved and devoured them, even the little ones. Bright lemon flavor goes nicely with the green herbs. quick and easy--I didn't think it took as much time as the recipe suggests ("prep 40 min.)."
"I tried these out on a crowd. Because they were the grand prize winner, I wasn't worried. Boy were they delicious!! SO much flavor! I followed the recipe to the letter, making 2 batches. Next time I'll soak a few toothpicks when I do my wooden skewers and put a couple in each side of the onion slices to hold...I lost a couple in the grill. Soooo good!! Everyone raved! Thank you, Moumita!"