Cider Turkey Soup Recipe
- 1 leftover turkey carcass (from a 12-pound turkey)
- 3-1/2 quarts water
- 4 cups apple cider or juice
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, cut into wedges
- 1 large apple, cut into wedges
- 1 large carrot, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 8 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 sprigs fresh sage
- 3 cups shredded cooked turkey breast
- 2 cups cooked long grain and wild rice
- 2 large carrots, shredded
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Place the first nine ingredients in a stockpot. Slowly bring to a boil over low heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours.
- Discard the carcass. Strain broth through a cheesecloth-lined colander; discard vegetables and herbs. If using immediately, skim fat. Or cool, then refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Remove fat from surface before using. Broth may be refrigerated for up to 3 days or frozen for 4-6 months.
- Place the soup ingredients in a stockpot; add broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Serve immediately or cool and transfer to freezer containers. May be frozen for up to 3 months.
- To use frozen soup: Thaw soup in the refrigerator overnight. Transfer to a saucepan. Cover and cook over medium heat until heated through. Yield: 15 servings (3-3/4 quarts).
Reviews for Cider Turkey Soup(2)
Sort By :
Wow! What a surprise. This is very tasty... It's rare I make something like soup and don't change a thing... but this recipe didn't need any changes! Super yummy. I made Apple Cider Biscuits to accompany this for dunking in the yummy broth.
Wonderful, ful of flavor and filling as well it's going to be a staple.
More Recipe Collections
- Apple Recipes >
- Broth Soup Recipes >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Soup Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Soup Recipes >
- Homemade Soup Stock >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Soup Recipes >
- Potluck Recipes >
- Potluck Soup Recipes >