Cider-Roasted Chicken Recipe
- 1 whole roasting chicken (5 to 7 pounds)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2-1/2 cups apple cider
- 6 to 8 small unpeeled red potatoes, quartered
- 6 to 8 small onions, peeled and quartered
- 1 to 2 medium green peppers, cut into strips
- 6 to 8 bacon strips
- 2 to 4 small tomatoes, quartered
- 1. Place chicken, breast side up, on a rack in a roasting pan; dot with butter. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 325°; bake for 2 hours.
- 2. Pour cider over chicken. Add the potatoes, onions and peppers to the pan; place bacon over chicken breast. Bake 1 hour longer, basting often.
- 3. Add tomatoes to the pan. Bake 30 minutes longer or until a meat thermometer reads 180°. Cover and let stand 10 minutes before carving. Thicken the pan juices for gravy if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 724 calories, 44 g fat (16 g saturated fat), 182 mg cholesterol, 386 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 50 g protein.
Reviews for Cider-Roasted Chicken
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.