I'VE never shared this recipe before, even with members of my own family. I use it only for special occasions such as Christmas.
I found the recipe in the first real good cookbook I owned, and my six children love it. I've also been inspired to enter cooking contests and have won several times.
-Mary Dunphy, Stephenville, Newfoundland
6 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 3-3/4 hours + standing
- 1 whole roasting chicken (5 to 7 pounds)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2-1/2 cups apple cider
- 6 to 8 small unpeeled red potatoes, quartered
- 6 to 8 small onions, peeled and quartered
- 1 to 2 medium green peppers, cut into strips
- 6 to 8 bacon strips
- 2 to 4 small tomatoes, quartered
- Place chicken, breast side up, on a rack in a roasting pan; dot with
- butter. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to
- 325°; bake for 2 hours.
- Pour cider over chicken. Add the potatoes, onions and peppers to the
- pan; place bacon over chicken breast. Bake 1 hour longer, basting
- Add tomatoes to the pan. Bake 30 minutes longer or until a meat
- thermometer reads 180°. Cover and let stand 10 minutes before
- carving. Thicken the pan juices for gravy if desired. Yield: 6
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 724 calories, 44 g fat (16 g saturated fat), 182 mg cholesterol, 386 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 50 g protein.