Cider Mushroom Brisket Recipe
- 1 fresh beef brisket (6 pounds)
- 2 jars (12 ounces each) mushroom gravy
- 1 cup apple cider or juice
- 1 envelope onion mushroom soup mix
- 1/3 cup crushed gingersnap cookies
- 1. Cut brisket into thirds; place in a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker. In a large bowl, combine the gravy, cider, soup mix and cookie crumbs; pour over beef. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until meat is tender.
- 2. Thinly slice meat across the grain. Skim fat from cooking juices; thicken if desired. Yield: 12 servings.
6 ounces cooked meat with 1/2 cup cooking juices equals 336 calories, 11 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 101 mg cholesterol, 566 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 47 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 6 lean meat, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.