- Drain and discard marinade. Rinse turkey under cold water; pat dry.
- Place onion, carrots and sage in cavity. Rub oil over skin. Skewer
- turkey openings; tie drumsticks together.
- Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and
- lightly coat the grill rack. Prepare grill for indirect heat, using
- a drip pan. Place turkey over drip pan; grill, covered, over
- indirect medium heat for 2 to 3 hours or until a meat thermometer
- reads 180°, tenting turkey with foil after about 1 hour. Cover
- and let stand 20 minutes before carving.
- If desired, thicken pan juices for gravy. Remove and discard skin and
- vegetables in cavity before carving turkey. Serve with gravy.
- Yield: 12 servings plus leftovers.
Editor's Note: It is best not to use a prebasted turkey for this recipe.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (4 ounces light and dark cooked turkey, skin removed, calculated without gravy) equals 198 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 86 mg cholesterol, 244 mg sodium, trace carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 33 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat.
Wine: Medium-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer