Here on our 1,250-acre farm, we usually have a quick breakfast on the go. So I often keep a batch of these light and moist doughnuts on hand. They disappear quickly because no one can eat just one!
18 ServingsPrep: 25 min. + chilling Cook: 25 min.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 Eggland's Best Eggs
- 1 cup apple cider
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the first 10 ingredients. Combine the eggs,
- cider and butter; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Divide dough in half. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; pat to
- 1/2-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. doughnut cutter.
- Repeat with remaining dough.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry